September 24, 2020 Meeting Minutes
9/24/20 SWONA Quarterly Meeting
Pre-meeting: Puget Sound Energy cut down trees without permission at 4th & Thomas as they were installing new poles. Sent neighbor $200 and an apology.
Approval of June minutes
Kate Fehnsfeld and Steve
Dan Leahy & Bethany
(Two people are members of Unity Church 13th and Fern)
Art in Alley, Front Yard Singout
· City is hiring police auditor
· creating social justice committee
· lobbyist real estate, South Capitol
· planned condo development on West Bay Drive
· redevelopment of Capital Mall into mixed use - condos?
· unhoused population
· BLM protests and counter-protest
Covid going into fall
· health office leaders leaving at end of year
· emphasis right now is to replace emergency response structure and streamline in to existing health programs
· DOH has been manufacturing own COVID test kits. Seeking contract manufacturer. Preparing to roll out vaccine.
Neighborhood News/ comments
· let’s consolidate SWONA sing out next time?
· below 4th Ave. hospital property on sale for $250,000
· SWONA sing out was a great mixer! Let’s do it 1-2 times/ year
· Plan December Sing out for Dec. 19?
· $55,000 raised for families displaced by arson on 9th Ave
Maintenance of the Art Wall on Olympic Way (graffiti)
· city notified us that there is graffiti on our 2012 mural
· Mark is picking up extra paint from original painters
· Call for volunteers Sat/Sun October 3&4
· Mark will approach neighbor with hose attachment
· Dan Leahy
· Kate Fehsenfeld
7:45 pm Open Conversation
• SWONA Adopt a roundabout: should we buy bulbs with the Gloria Dei refund?
• Margaret has iris tubers available
• Per Nancy Camenzind, Council Chair at Unity Church on Fern: will not be bringing small houses to their church, but will be bringing shower trailer for unhoused community build by Build a bus home. Shower trailer will be HQed there, people that need shower facilities will be bused in. Shelter possibility down the road. email@example.com
• should SWONA write a letter of support to City of Olympia for Unity Church showers? Dan is interested in helping. Mark requested a letter from Nancy so we could publicize what they’re doing.
• Interfaith Works is seeking volunteers to help unhoused c/o Peter Cook
• Neighbor is concerned about sheltering unhoused people at Unity Church in such a dense neighborhood. Mark can push questions up to CNA if requested.
8:00 pm Adjourn