OPD Weekly Update
Here are the maps for the past two weeks.
November 28-December 3:
- The first week was pretty active, but the methods and items taken were all over the place. Several of the burglaries (residential and commercial) were attempts only .
- The second week was much slower. There is a new cluster of burglaries off of Lilly Rd that we are keeping an eye on. Windows or screens are being removed. Jewelry and money have been taken.
- Vehicle prowls continue to be numerous. The mall and other concentrated shopping areas are targets this time of year. Last Sunday, the volunteers passed out almost 1000 vehicle prowl education flyers at the mall. Officers also made an arrest of a prowler seen in the vehicle by the owner.
- CrimeReports.com, the public access crime mapping service we use is back in service. That means you can go there any time to check on crime in your area. It communicates directly with our records system and maps every case report, not just Part 1 crimes.
- Take a moment to review our Holiday Crime Prevention Tips. Also, sign up for alerts from the FBI’s www.IC3.gov website to learn about the latest internet scams.
- We have heard of a “found” wallet/purse scam that is happening in retail parking lots along the I-5 corridor. The suspects convince the victim to pay money in order to collect a reward or claim “found” money. Be careful – these people are good.
Sorry for the delay in maps. I hope all of you are successfully avoiding the “crud” going around!
Senior Program Specialist
Police Community Programs
Olympia Police Department